Bay Area Sound Ecology is an interdisciplinary forum centered around listening and the soundscape. We create projects and events to promote sound-environment awareness, making and encouraging opportunities for ear-opening sonic encounters.
BASE is the Northern California chapter of the American Society for Acoustic Ecology (ASAE), a member organization of the World Forum on Acoustic Ecology.
BASEbot Listening Salon
BASEbot is a meeting place for ear-minded people. The first public project of Bay Area Sound Ecology, it is an experiment in bringing people together around listening and the soundscape. At each event we invite someone to present their work with sound in front of an audience in an intimate setting. We discuss, we talk shop, we meet one another. Our plans always include some “open floor” time during which attendees can share short excerpts of work.
All events to date are listed in the BASEbot Archive
Sound recordings of presentations to-date are collected in the BASEbot Podcast Page
How to Join In
We draw audience and membership from a broad group – acousticians, sound designers, radio producers, composers, musicians, bioacousticians, and other humans who listen.
- Please join the BASE yahoo group to stay apprised of upcoming events, and to take part in discussion of what’s next. This is a very low-traffic list.
- Visit us on Facebook and click “Like” to get our updates in your news feed.
- Events will be published on our website. You can subscribe to our feed with your RSS reader to stay current.
- We publish recordings of presentations and other audio of interest to our podcast.
BASE membership is via the American Society for Acoustic Ecology (ASAE).
The standard calendar year membership rate is $50. We also offer an artist/senior/student/limited income option of paying what you can, between $30 and $49. ASAE membership benefits include:
- Subscription to Soundscape – The Journal of Acoustic Ecology, WFAE’s annual journal.
- Quarterly online WFAE newsletter.
- Reduced admission to WFAE and ASAE-sponsored conferences and events.
- BASEbot – Listening salon series
- Podcast – Recordings of BASE listening events, radio programs and the like
BASE is the Northern California chapter of the American Society for Acoustic Ecology (ASAE), part of the World Forum for Acoustic Ecology (WFAE).
- WFAE – World Forum for Acoustic Ecology – global umbrella organization
- ASAE – American Society for Acoustic Ecology, the United States WFAE chapter
- NYSAE – New York Society for Acoustic Ecology, New York City
- MWSAE – Midwest Society for Acoustic Ecology, Chicago Ill.
- SWSAE – Southwest Society for Acoustic Ecology, Phoenix AZ
- ColoSAE – Colorado Society for Acoustic Ecology
- NEFAE – New England Forum for Acoustic Ecology
- PNWAE – Pacific Northwest Acoustic Ecology (facebook link)
- SCSE – Southern California Sound Ecology
In addition, there are many international organizations which you can discover through the WFAE link above.
Jeremiah Moore firstname.lastname@example.org co-chair pro tem
Aaron Ximm email@example.com co-chair pro tem
Join our mailing list:
BayAreaSoundEcology yahoo group